Garachico

Garachico

Garachico is a beautiful village, an essential stop if you are in Tenerife. But above all it is a very peculiar village because of its history. It was founded by a Genoese banker, Cristóbal de Ponte in 1496 and in 1916 King Alfonso XIII granted it the title of Villa y Puerto. It was also the main port of Tenerife during the 16th and 17th centuries.

Garachico is a village with character that rose from the ashes after the eruption of the Trevejo volcano in 1706 buried most of the village. But thanks to the tenacity of its inhabitants it became the main port of the island.

One of the interesting things is el Caletón, a bathing area, formed by several pools of natural origin. The pools were created by the lava from the eruption we mentioned earlier, which solidified when it came into contact with the sea, giving rise to some beautiful natural pools.

El Roque de Garachico is an islet that can be seen from almost any part of the village. The rock is a volcanic geological formation of basaltic lava flows that has been isolated due to the retreat of the coast by marine erosion. It is a refuge for migratory birds.

If we leave the coast and go into the town, we come across the Plaza de la Libertad square, where we find the Garachico Town Hall and the church of Nuestra Señora de Los Ángeles, among other of the town's most emblematic buildings. In the centre of the square we can sit in the shade of the trees and enjoy absolute tranquillity.

As Garachico is one of the most important ports in the Canary Islands, it needed a defensive castle, and this is the Castillo de San Miguel. Although it was built in the 16th century, it is in perfect condition and was one of the few buildings that was not damaged by the eruption of the volcano. It houses a museum and an information centre where you can visit for a fee.

But the most pleasant thing is to wander through its streets and enjoy its people and its varied gastronomic offer.

Share this Post